Search This Blog

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Adobe de Palomares, Pomona

Adobe de Palomares
CA Historical Landmark No. 372
491 E. Arrow Highway
Pomona, CA 91767
Historical Society of Pomona Valley: 909-623-2198

Sun: 2p-5p
Closed Easter, Memorial Day, Labor Day and Thanksgiving weekends.

Adobe de Palomares was the 13 room home of Don Ygnacio Palomares and his wife, Dona Concepcion Lopez de Palomares. The Palomares and Vejar families owned the Rancho San Jose, which covered eastern Los Angeles county, some 150 years ago. The land now covers many cities of the Pomona Valley of Southern California, including Pomona, LaVerne, San Dimas, Diamond Bar, Azusa, Covina, Walnut, Glendora, and Claremont.

The Adobe is more than a museum or a restored building. Its rooms and gardens allow us to be taken back in time and to see the adobe as it was lived in, during a very special period, 150 years ago. This was a crucial period in California history, as the American annexation of the state brought tremendous changes to the Palomares family and their contemporaries.

The furnishings, all in accord with the style of the period, have been assembled from the length and breadth of Southern California, forming one of the finest collections of early days to be found anywhere. Many of the articles are precious heirlooms of descendants of the early families who have generously loaned or donated them.

Even the landscaping of the spacious courtyard and gardens have been reproduced in accurate detail according to findings of painstaking research. The grounds can be seen today with their original charm and beauty. A special part of the garden is the herb garden. The herbs were important for seasoning and were the source of medical remedies. Knowledge of medical herbs was important and is reflected in the selection of present plants in the active herb garden.

An important part of the Adobe is the Blacksmith shop. It was used for shoeing horses and the maintenance of ranch equipment including saws, pots and buggies.

Adobe de Palomares, to add to its busy round of activity, was an important stop on the San Bernardino stage route, where passengers could obtain food and relaxation from the bumps and jolts of the long and dusty road. Many an exhausted immigrant party and foot-sore wanderer found a resting place here.

Contact the Historical Society of Pomona Valley for latest information.

Museum of Flying, Santa Monica

Museum of Flying
3100 Airport Ave
Santa Monica, CA 90405

The Museum was forced to temporarily close in July of 2002 due to economic challenges. Since that time, Museum officials have been in discussion with the City of Santa Monica on a suitable new location at the Santa Monica Airport. Recently, the Museum executed a lease agreement with the City of Santa Monica for the leasehold at 3100 Airport Avenue. The new Museum expansion and remodeling project is estimated to cost nearly $2 million. Construction and the Capital Campaign to support it are in progress.

The Museum of Flying is dedicated to preserving and presenting the rich history of the growth and development of aviation and aerospace in Southern California. Special emphasis is placed on the history of the Douglas Aircraft Company and the Santa Monica Airport. The Santa Monica Airport was the birthplace of the Douglas World Cruiser, the first aircraft to circumnavigate globe. This led to the company slogan for many years of "Around the world first, first the world around". In the early 1930's, the Santa Monica Airport witnessed the first flights of the famous DC-3 Aircraft that virtually changed the field of aviation and air travel worldwide.

The Santa Monica Airport played a vital role in the production of military aircraft during World War II, with Donald W. Douglas serving as czar of aircraft production for the United States as appointed by President Roosevelt. By the early 1950's, 90% of worldwide air travel took place on Douglas built aircraft. The Museum chronicles both the growth of Douglas and the many other aviation and aerospace companies that were started by individuals who actually started with the Douglas Aircraft Company. Here, visitors will see a broadly diverse collection of aircraft, exhibits, artifacts, and aviation art that tell the story of aviation both locally and globally.

Contact the Museum for latest information.

W. K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Center, Pomona

W. K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Center
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
3801 W. Temple Avenue
Pomona, CA 91768
(909) 869-2224

Mon-Fri: 8am to 5pm
Visitors are welcome to walk through the stables but ask; please do not feed or touch the horses.

The Center occupied the original Kellogg stables prior to the dedication of the existing facility on April 6, 1974. It is home to approximately 85 purebred Arabian horses used in Equine Sciences’ teachings, outreach, research and internationally recognized breeding and training programs. Facilities at the center include 38 acres of pasture, three barns, foaling stalls, a breeding area, a veterinary clinic, a farrier shop, four arenas and a grandstand.

Sunday Horse Shows, 2pm: The first Sunday of the month October - May. During the winter months, please call to confirm horse show availability.
Adults $4
Seniors & Children (6-17) $3
Children <5, Cal Poly Pomona Students, Staff, & Faculty with ID FREE
Parking is $3.00 on Sunday's

Sunday exhibitions of the beautiful Arabian horse were started by Mr. Kellogg in 1926, and Cal Poly Pomona is now privileged to carry on this Southern California tradition. Their purpose has always been to promote interest in the Arabian breed and to educate the horse loving public to the versatility, beauty, and intelligence of these animals. The shows are held in a specially designed arena with covered stands.

The program features the Arabian horse, both under English and western tack. In the first instance, the qualities of a pleasure horse and jumper are demonstrated. In the latter, utility as a trail horse and as an intelligent and versatile horse for pleasure use are demonstrated.The Arabian horse further demonstrates its intelligence, and the students their training ability, in the liberty and trick horse acts. In fine harness, the grace and action desired in a pleasure driving horse are demonstrated.Training and handling are accomplished entirely by the University's students and staff, and the show program is designed to demonstrate the versatility and fine qualities of the Arabian breed.

Contact the Center for latest information.

San Bernardino County Museum, Redlands

San Bernardino County Museum
2024 Orange Tree Lane
Redlands, CA 92374

Tues-Sun, holiday Mondays: 9a-5p
Holiday Mondays include: Martin Luther King Day, President's Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day and Columbus Day.
Closed New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.

Adult: $8
Senior (60+), Military: $6
Student (with I.D.): $5
Child (5-12) $4
Child <5, Museum members: Free
A variety of educational programs and tours can enhance your visit for modest additional fees.

Parking is free

The San Bernardino County Museum, in Redlands, California, is a regional museum with exhibits and collections in cultural and natural history. Special exhibits, the Exploration Station live animal discovery center, extensive research collections, and public programs for adults, families, students, and children are all part of the museum experience.

Their collections have the following general divisions: Anthropology, Biological Science, Geological Sciences, History, Archives, and Textiles.

The museum features a number of guest lectures, readings, demonstrations, discovery activities, field trips, and programs for families, scouts, and schools.

Branch Museum Sites in Redlands, Yucaipa, Colton, Chino, Rancho Cucamonga, and Daggett.

Contact the Museum for latest information.

Wrigley Memorial & Botanic Garden, Avalon

Wrigley Memorial & Botanic Garden
Santa Catalina Island
Avalon, CA

Daily: 8a-5p
Admission Booth services available from 9 am to 4 pm daily except major holidays.
Closed major holidays

Adults $5
Seniors 60+ $3
Children <12, Conservancy Members Free

The Wrigley Memorial honors the memory of William Wrigley Jr., who lived from 1861 to 1932. Although best known as the founder of the Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company, largest manufacturer of chewing gum in the world, he also played an instrumental role in the history of Santa Catalina Island. He truly loved the island, and with undying enthusiasm and energy, he brought numerous improvements: public utilities, new steamships, a hotel, the Casino building, and extensive plantings of trees, shrubs and flowers. William Wrigley Jr.'s greatest legacy was his remarkable vision and plan for the future of Santa Catalina Island -- that it remain protected for all generations to enjoy.

With its commanding view of Avalon Bay, the Wrigley Memorial is the centerpiece of the Botanic Garden. It was built in 1933-34 with the goal of using as much Catalina materials as possible. Quarried Catalina stones can be seen in the reinforced concrete construction -- the facade having been sandblasted to hide the cement and highlight the native crushed stones.

The blue flagstone rock on the ramps and terraces comes from Little Harbor, on Catalina's "back" side. And the red roof tiles and all the colorful handmade glazed tiles used for finishings came from the Catalina Pottery plant, which was in operation from 1927 to 1937. The marble inside the tower was quarried in Georgia.

The idea for a garden came from Mr. Wrigley's wife, Ada. In 1935, she supervised Pasadena horticulturalist Albert Conrad, who planted the original Desert Plant Collection. Santa Catalina Island's temperate marine climate made it possible to showcase plants from every corner of the earth.

In 1969, the Wrigley Memorial Garden Foundation expanded and revitalized the garden's 37.85 acres. Along with the new plantings came a new attitude. In the same way that the Wrigley Memorial uses primarily native building materials, the Garden places a special emphasis on California island endemic plants. (Plants, which grow naturally on one or more of the California islands, but nowhere else in the world.) Many of these plants are extremely rare, and some are on the Endangered Species list.

Contact the Conservancy for latest information.

March Field Air Museum, Riverside

The March Field Air Museum
Adjacent to March Air Reserve Base
16222 Interstate 215 (at 22550 Van Buren Blvd)
Look for the orange and white checkerboard roof visible from the freeway.
Riverside, CA 92518

Tues-Sun: 9a-4p
Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and Easter.

Admisison: $10
Children (5-11): $5
Active Duty and Reservist personnel in uniform (with military ID), Children <5 FREE

March Field Air Museum, and the P-38 National Museum are adjacent to the March Air Reserve Base, Riverside, California. March Field Air Museum serves as home to over 70 historic aircraft and many inside displays relating to the history of March Field, now known as March Air Reserve Base. The main building was erected in 1993. Its style reflects the traditional hangars of earlier aviation days.

At the museum visitors can watch modern military aircraft as they land and take off daily. Inside the museum the visitor will find thousands of artifacts on display covering the years from 1918 to the present. Also displayed in the hangar are some rare and unusual aircraft, including a P-59 fighter, the first operational jet adopted by the U.S. Air Force over 50 years ago.

The building also contains a theater in which visitors may view films about the history of March Field and U.S. military aviation, the General Curtis E. LeMay Library, a well-stocked Museum Store, and the museum offices.

Contact the Museum for latest information.

Perris Valley Museum, Perris

Perris Valley Museum
Santa Fe Depot
120 4th Street (at D Street)
Perris, CA 92570

Thurs-Sun: 12p-4p
Docent tours are available on request.

There is lots to see at the recently renovated Santa Fe Depot, home of the Perris Valley Museum, in downtown Perris. It's a great place to relive your childhood, teach your children and grandchildren their local history, or just simply have a look inside that building you have been driving by for so long.

The Perris Depot is often described as one of the most elegant of the nation's few surviving small town railway depots. It was designed by noted railroad station architect Benjamin Franklin Levet at the behest of J.W. Nance, a prominent Perris builder and investor.

Built of red brick, the Perris Depot is a classic example of High Victorian style. Most small town stations were built using standard frame construction. The depot is still at its exact original site, and has remained basically unchanged from its original design and construction. Furthermore, it represents a very important architectural genre: Queen Anne. It is among the very few of the original buildings of this style that today survives intact and unaltered.

The Perris Valley Historical and Museum Association collects, catalogues, and displays items of historical interest, in addition to publishing pamphlets on valley history. Collections include artifacts from the Luiseno Indians, turn of the century clothing, farming equipment, mining tools, and personal effects from the city’s namesake, Fred T. Perris.

Contact the Museum for latest information.